Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Diamonds

I realized age is finally catching up with me when fine crow-feet start appearing at the corner of my sparkling eyes. It no longer frightens me when kids came calling me auntie, because I had come to term with me being “no longer very young”. At the gathering recently with LZ’s friends, the topics brought on the table were indeed frightening – career, housing and marriage. I was like – I beg your pardon!?! Those were my parents’ conversational topics I never bothered to take part in. I should cherish every moment from now lest before I knew it, the next topic brought on the table would be retirement…

However, I totally enjoyed the debates between me and LZ on diamond rings when it comes to engagement. For the fact that my guy thinks buying a costly piece of stone is not worth the sincerity of love, is annoying. No, I am not getting hitch, but it started off with that sparkling diamond on the finger of one of his female friends.

LZ think diamonds are overrated, for the fact that he could buy more with the same amount than a piece of shiny accessory. That is true but diamond are expensive not without reasons. In my theory, diamond possesses an aura that is undeniable, to wand off potential predators on your territory. The bigger and brighter the diamond, the more secure is your territory. It’s like telling predators to fish off, even when you’re not by her side. Hahaha!!! I know I’m lame but it’s true.

Ok, be serious. From past experiences buying diamonds, I’ve learnt quite a bit from the jewelers. Basically, all women know that there are 4 Cs that make diamonds expensive. They are – carat, colour, clarity and cut.

If my memory didn’t fail me, carat refers to the size of the diamond. Obviously the bigger, the better, very straight forward.

Colour is no doubt - the colour. It ranges from colourless, grade D being the best and most expensive, to tinted yellow, the cheaper ones.

Clarity refers to the amount of impurities seen under the microscope. Flawless diamonds are the most expensive since it do not interfere with reflected light within the diamond.

Lastly, the cut. No matter how good a diamond is, it need the prefect cut to enable it to shine to its greatest potential. The prefect cut will reflect 100% light through the top after reflected from the bottom to give it a glittering shine. Jewelers call that brilliance.

But of course, prices vary with the final design and brand. And yes, certification of diamond is important too. Do not try imitating a diamond using a swarovski crystal. It won’t work. You will not only lose your future spouse, but also her trust. The perfect proposal would be having the guy go down on one knee and propose with a diamond ring so bright that the girl has to wear shades in order to keep her composure.

Anyway, guys have nothing to loss when it comes to diamond because flowers will wilt and chocolates will melt. But diamonds are forever!!!

Suddenly, it feels so good to be a woman!!! Wahahahaha……

No comments: