Sunday, March 10, 2013

My Braces Journey

I have ditched my braces for almost 3 weeks!!! Hooray!!! Decided to write about my teeth straightening journey which I started almost 3 years ago, and I am loving my new smile. =) In case you are thinking of fixing your crooked teeth, I will share my experience and problems I've encountered during my journey.

Back in year 1998, I was referred by my school’s dentist to the National Dental Centre Singapore. Mum brought me there for my consultation and the next consultation was scheduled 3 years later. Yes, they are THAT efficient… Unfortunately, I forgot about the followup and…. end of the story.

Fast forward 12 years later, I went to my dental surgeon (Dr Chen) for a routine scaling and polishing and complained that I always bite my tongue accidentally due to a tooth hiding behind. My gums were also weaker and always bleeding due to overcrowding issue and poor oral health. Dr Chen brought up the topic on braces but at that moment, I brushed it aside as thought I was too old for it anyway.

Then came one day, my phone rang and I was told to pose as a model for my school’s publicity brochure.  All was well but I was quite disturbed that my teeth kind of spoilt the photo. That was the moment I began considering braces seriously. It was also a foresight because I do not want to regret having crocked teeth for my wedding photo-shoots in a few years time. Yes, I always plan well-ahead. =)


That is me on my school's brochure. Everything was prefect except my teeth.  

So, I did a thorough search online and feed myself with tons of information before scheduling an appointment with Dr Chen. I was glad that he explained the entire process patiently, discussed the cost involved, mentioned the type of braces available, estimated the duration for treatment and answered all my questions. I knew I was in safe hands and decided to start my treatment with him.

The first step was getting the X-ray done. I was referred to a clinic at Ang Mo Kio and it costed $80.25 for 2 X-rays. Dr Chen then cast a mold of my existing teeth and studied it carefully before concluding that I had to extract 4 pre-molars to ease the overcrowding and make space for straightening. That was done over 2 visits, one week apart, and it costed $50 per extraction. The extraction process was really barbaric and I think I have already blogged about it here

My 4 pre-molars!!

After extraction, my gums were allowed to heal for one week before putting on the brackets. I opted for damon braces instead of the traditional braces because it will speed up the treatment time and visit to the dentist will be less frequent. I paid $1500 to start my treatment and for every subsequent followup, I paid $150 for the next 16 visits. 

It wasn't easy during the first few days after having braces on. My jaws felt tight and my gums were so painful as though someone punched me in the mouth. I only survived on liquid food and I talked funny. The most worry-some issue was my PhD confirmation presentation and I was so afraid that I cannot pronounce many words well. Thus, I rehearse my presentation over and over again, with the brackets rubbing on my inner cheek, causing split skin and ulcers all over my mouth. I paid a high price for a prefect presentation, but it was all worth it.   

Subsequent visits were less daunting. Dr Chen will either change or tighten the wires, add a few spring bands or perform some metal artwork with my teeth. I always stare in awe at his intrigued art piece on my teeth and wonder how much patient goes into it... Towards the end of my treatment, Dr Chen will adjust my bite by giving me dental homework. I was to hook a rubberband between my upper and lower jaws diligently until my next visit. Those tiny rubber bands tend to snap in my mouth when I yawn. It kind of kept me awake in that sense.  

Due to my lower tolerance to pain, Dr Chen also opted to do tightening with transparent rubberband most of the time. However, the main drawback was in my diet. I must keep clear of food like curry and tea or I risk having yellow-stained rubberband. As such, I always indulged in curry a day before my dental appointment. =P


I cannot bite the corn.

Dental hygiene is the most important when having braces on. Food particles always get stuck between the brackets and wires and personally, I think it is extremely embarrassing to have green vegetables hanging on the wires. Carrying a pocket mirror and toothpicks will be very helpful. Toothbrush also seemed to wear off faster than ever, and I need to change my toothbrush once every 2 months.

On 23 February 2013, Dr Chen decided it was time to take my braces off. He cleaned and polished my newly straighten set of teeth before making a mould for my retainer. I was elated and loving my new smile. Dr Chen then took some pictures for his record and I was to go back and collect my retainer the next day.

Unlike those wire retainers that look like dentures, Dr Chen gave me vacuum formed retainer, similar to invisalign. It is transparent and look really good and comfortable.  That concludes my braces journey and looking at myself in the mirror today, I never regretted getting my teeth fixed. If you are considering braces, go for it. One life, live it to your prettiest!!!


15 comments:

Flying Freedom Friendship said...

Nice teeth!!!! Must be an enduring journey for you.

Anonymous said...

І like the vаluable info уou supply іn your aгticles.
I'll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently. I'm mοdеrately
сertain I will learn many new stuff right right hеre!
Best of lucκ fοr thе followіng!


Alsо visit my site; Daniel Chavez Moran

Patty Gurrola said...

Thanks so much for sharing your braces story with the world! I think what you've managed to do is to present both the positive and negative sides, and it's clear that the positive far outweighs the negative. The pain is temporary, of course. Once the braces have done their job, that's when we see that it's all been worth it. Just remember not to lose your retainers! You don't want your teeth to have a relapse, after all!

Unknown said...

Wow! This journey you've had with fixing your teeth is a great one indeed. I am glad you shared it with us. Anyone who would want to have their crooked teeth fixed will find your story helpful. And I can say that this is one good summary of the whole process too. The tips are cherries on top! Thank you, Adarina!
Avis Charland

Unknown said...

Yet another success story. :) You see, I have been contemplating on having braces, so I have been reading accounts and stories about people's experiences with it. And just like any other post that I've read, I feel truly happy to know that it's worth it even though there is some pain attached to the whole process. Thank you! Aura Minaya

London Square Dental Centre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
londonsquaredental said...

wow! what a great blog.. it's very informative thank you so much.
Dentist in Northeast Calgary

parkmeadowsd said...

Pretty good I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
Dentist in Medicine Hat

progracedentistry16 said...

Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming...
Dentist in NW Calgary

Unknown said...

splendid blog.. keep bloging guys thank you so much
Dentist in Waterloo,ON

waterlo dentistry

Unknown said...

i read the post and got it very amazing. Thank you so much for this blog.
web design company

Unknown said...

this is an enthusiastic post by this blog. Thank you so much.
Vancouver Orthodontics

Unknown said...

very Splendid blog. thank you so much.
sw edmonton dentist

David Michaud said...

I'm getting braces next month and now I'm just searching a bunch of posts because I'm nervous.

divvidivya said...

For all your dental problems like Wisdom Teeth Removal Calgary visit Expression Dental.